Toxic Spring Flowers!

As we head into the Spring season it’s important to keep in mind that some plants and fertilisers can be toxic to your dog!

 

Some of the plants poisonous to our dog’s aren’t even ones you might expect!

Spring flowers with bulbs such as Tulips, Daffodils, Narcissus, and Hyacinths, can be particularly dangerous to dogs. Especially the skin at the bottom of the bulb!

Whether your dog digs them up in the garden or simply just snacks on them waiting to be planted, ingesting these flowers in large amounts can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea!

More severe symptoms from taking in larger proportions can include increased heart and respiratory rate! Aswell as foreign body obstructions and in rare cases cardiac arrhythmias!

 

So although Spring is just around the corner, just be aware of the places you are exercising your dog and watch out for any toxic plants they may be able to get to! But if your dog does ingest something foreign, bring him/her home and call your vet right away to determine the best course of action!

 

Hope you and your pooches stay safe this Spring!

 

MPK X