Process of Adoption
Mount Pleasant Kennels makes the adoption process as simple as possible. Please read the steps below to learn more about adopting.
Step 1: Where to start?
To start the process of adopting your new family member, you can:
1. Visit our kennels and discuss with our team your requirements. We will try to match your family with the right dog.
2. Visit our "Available Dogs" page (please note this is only a small selection)
3. You can call or email us to enquire about our dogs available for adoption.
Step 2: Viewing dogs in kennels
For the best possible experience, please read this section prior to visiting our kennels.
When you first arrive at kennels, please visit our reception area. Here you will be able to view photographs and receive details of our available dogs. Our team will be on hand to answer any questions and help find the right dog for your family.
We will review some assessments with you so you will have a background on the progression of the dog.
To help us do the best job in matching you with the right dog, we will enquire about your lifestyle as a family, and the role you see a dog playing in your lives. We'll ask how active you are and about the environment inside and outside of your home.
If we have a dog matching your requirements, we will be happy bring the dog from the kennel to our assessment area. You will be able to meet and spend some time with him or her. We always encourage all the family to meet your potential new dog prior to making the decision about adoption.
If you have other dogs or small children you must bring them to meet your potential new family member, so we can be confident they get along. This is a condition of adoption and we won't be able to complete the adoption without this.
Please note effective immediately, there is no access into the kennel area for the general public. If you want to meet a dog, a member of our team will bring the dog from kennel.
Step 3: Adopting your dog
Before taking your new dog home, we will need to:
Complete necessary adoption and reservation forms. Please read these documents carefully and ask any questions you may have. They are legal documents and we want to be sure you understand the content before signing.
2. Decide if you want your new dog bathing prior to rehoming (we charge £10 for a bath)
3. Decide if you want to purchase a rehoming pack. Each pack consists of a bed of your choice, food bowl, water bowl and a collar/lead of your choice.
4. Agree the collection date for your new pet.
5. We will get the dog checked & vaccinated by our veterinarian prior to release. In the unlikely event the veterinarian finds any medical issues, we will communicate with you the information.
What you get as standard as part of the adoption:
1. Your dog will be micro-chipped with your name & address
2. You are eligible for a neutering voucher courtesy of The Dogs Trust
3. Your dog will have its first vaccination (on occasion a dog may have both 1st and 2nd vaccination)
4. Your dog will receive a basic health check from our veterinarian
5. If the vet check is clear, you will also get 4 weeks free insurance through Pet Plan. It is our recommendation to keep this policy active after the initial 4 week period, especially if you are adopting a stray dog whose medical history is unknown.